LG Therma V Auto mode

Wingover

Hi All,

Having an issue with the AI setting in Auto mode for heating.  I set the min-max temp and everything seems fine during the late evening/night.  In the late morning if the sun is out it is heating the outside unit and the OAT sensor reads about 5c more than the real outside temp and the heat pump lowers the LWT according the the "false" reading.  I am wondering if the sun is heating the metal panels of the heat pump so the sensor is reading the wrong temp.  If this is possible, can the sensor be moved to the area between the wall and heat pump where there is always shade?

Outdoor temp sensors are supposed to remain away from the sun. You could extend the cable and place the sensor away from the unit and sun. But not sure if the sensor is used as part of the defrost detection, so it knows when to initiate?

For those not in the know, "AI" (Auto Mode) is what LG calls its Weather Compensation mode.  Only later models of the LG Therma V will tell you what the outside temperature is, so I presume that is what you have.  I'm hoping to get hold of a manual for the current range; when it comes I'll look in that and let you know if I find anything.

In the short term, I would ask your installer to ask LG if anything can be done.      

Edited by ReedRichards

On 18/12/2023 at 13:20, Wingover said:

In the late morning if the sun is out it is heating the outside unit and the OAT sensor reads about 5c more than the real outside temp and the heat pump lowers the LWT according the the "false" reading

Is this actually causing you any discomfort? Isn't that same sun shining through your windows during the late morning and compensating for the lower flow temp?