Site clearance… 1950s/1960s engineering books & journals. What to do with them? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Our project has been delayed for an age but we’re finally cracking on with site clearance.

It’s something of a challenge as it was quite neglected and overgrown, and the previous owner was a massive hoarder… we have the house, five sheds, four railway carriages and four caravans, mostly rammed to the gills. We’ve spent the first six weeks clearing blackthorn and brambles, burning the lot as we go, so the grounds are now ‘ok’ and we’ve gained access to all the structures.

We’ve just scratched the surface of the clearance and there’s a huge amount of stuff that it just seems wrong to get rid of… I don’t want to turn into a hoarder myself, so I’m curious whether these things would be of interest to anyone? I’d be happy to just give them away…

There are also hundreds of 1950s newspapers, mostly in good condition… we’ve been through some of them and will keep a few e.g. coronation, death of Stalin. I’m also keeping some of the politically incorrect ads :D I don’t think they have any monetary value, but it would be nice if they could be appreciated by someone rather than being burned…

Edited by fatgus

Hey hey! That looks fun!

Agree the journals etc must be of interest to someone. With the mixer and dumper you may well find that the engines, being so basic, are 'resuscitatable' (if that's a word!). Don't assume that the Morrie has only scrap metal value. Dig deeper. Perhaps it's the camera angle but, although the shape looks 'Minor' the bonnet looks longer than a Minor. Grille looks Minor, though. Looks like a door is open, so internals may not have been 'saved' much. The web tells me that there is a thriving owners club if it is a Minor: https://www.mmoc.org.uk/. I bet an invitation to members to come and look on a given day and make an offer would be well responded to.

What are you going to build when it's all clear? (Or is that already on another thread?)

7 minutes ago, Redbeard said:

Hey hey! That looks fun!

It has been so far :)

I think the Morris is a 1000, but I know virtually nothing about cars from that era. There are two of those, a Mini, an Austin and a couple of others we’ve not identified. I figured an owners club might be a good idea, but hadn’t thought of an open invitation to view… that’s a great idea. The cars are in a pretty sad state though :( It would be great if they could be used by someone, even if it’s just for parts. I did have the crazy idea of keeping a couple of them and having them on display behind glass, in their current condition…. That was pretty quickly, and sensibly, vetoed by my wife.

One of my work colleagues is a mechanical genius, so maybe I should challenge him to get the mixer running :D Wonder what the brickies would think if I wheeled that out…

I posted the original concept of what we are planning a while ago, before the delays (solicitors 🤬). The plans have changed slightly, but not enormously. Haven’t submitted our application yet though… even after all this time, we’re still agonising over details. I’ll probably post the current plans soon for the forum sense check :)

3 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Some retired farmers collect old kit. Or maybe rural pubs, hotels or big houses want features.

Do you have a local or community blog?

We do indeed 👍 That’s a great idea

34 minutes ago, fatgus said:

The cars are in a pretty sad state though :( It would be great if they could be used by someone, even if it’s just for parts. I did have the crazy idea of keeping a couple of them and having them on display behind glass, in their current condition…. That was pretty quickly, and sensibly, vetoed by my wife.

Yes, I was not suggesting the Morrie at least could be put on the road, but there may well be re-usable bits 'hiding'. I did once have permission to put a motorcycle in the living-room, but it never happened. Worked on bikes in a few kitchens, though!

When you have removed the under- (over-) growth show us pics of the other cars and I bet we can help. Any motorcycles....? 🙂

56 minutes ago, Redbeard said:

Yes, I was not suggesting the Morrie at least could be put on the road, but there may well be re-usable bits 'hiding'. I did once have permission to put a motorcycle in the living-room, but it never happened. Worked on bikes in a few kitchens, though!

I love the idea of something large and mechanical as an ‘ornament’. I tentatively suggested one of those tall harvesting things, but was met by a look of utter disdain :D I need to find something smaller…

56 minutes ago, Redbeard said:

When you have removed the under- (over-) growth show us pics of the other cars and I bet we can help. Any motorcycles....? 🙂

Will do :) No motorcycles unfortunately… just a few push bikes :)

6 hours ago, gaz_moose said:

ive seen people use the wheels off the first bit of kit in gyms as weight plates so they have a decent value.

remember chassis numbers and log books have a decent value for some old cars.

Cheers @gaz_moose I had no idea the wheels could/would be used as weights. Lord knows whether the log books exist, or whether they’re in one of the hundreds of boxes/envelopes/cupboards/bookcases.

I think my rather significant problem is the compulsion to check literally Every. Single. Thing. “Just in case” there’s something of interest or value. Unfortunately, having barely scratched the surface, we have already found quite a lot of interesting stuff (to us, anyway) which does nothing to convince me to be ruthless! This could make a long job never-ending 😂