Question about boost

On a factory built MVHR unit with boost mode etc. Lets say it's set up to boost when RH in the bathroom reaches 70%.

So I'm enjoying my shower washing away the dirt and troubles of the day, and RH  hit's the magic 70%. Is it just the extract fan that goes to boost, or does incoming air increase as well?

you would have both extract and supply go on boost as @JohnMo said, it's a balanced system and whenever the speed of one fan increases the other one should follow so you don't get differential pressure. You could have it the just the extract boosts but there might be a disadvantages to it, not sure.

• Like 1

If the system was not balanced (unintentionally) then if the Boost upped the extract, outside air would be pulled in via leaks and hence by-pass the Heat Exchanger.   In the winter (or colder months) this would reduce the efficiency of the system overall.

Some MVHRs allow differential settings, I assume to either achieve room flow rates (as pipework will vary) or intentionally - I have read on here that recommendations from Finland and Germany vary for either radon or damp.

• Like 1