Leaks around bay window

Sparrowhawk

After stripping the (dry, wooden) surround off I've found two leaks on the right side of the downstairs bay window, and I suspect it's the same the other side. Where the window sill has been cut into the brickwork it has been leaking for a while - the render is soft, the wooden packer has rotted and the brick under the window is soaked. The open cell foam filling this area is sodden.

Before storm Ciarán hit I filled the cracks and places where the mortar fell out with CT1 as it was soaking wet, which didn't stop the water coming in.

During last night's storm I found a leak at the top right. And now a third leak between the bottom of the window and the sill.

2 questions: How can I patch this up for now, and what is the long term fix?

We're planning to have this wall re-rendered due to cracked and crumbling (sodden) render, but this looks like a weak spot. With the gap between window and wall, and the way the window sill disappears into the wall and the open angle where the render touches the UPVC is going to be tricky to make waterproof?

Overview

overview.thumb.jpeg.c8d11f89ee652c4f1e101332bcaafc2f.jpeg

Bottom right

With my new CT1 trying to fill gaps.

br_outside.thumb.jpeg.f67ab7a5ef6934c9e45111017402243d.jpeg

br_overview.thumb.jpg.d758bc723c1adfba753d0f4df12ba704.jpg

Foam is supporting external render. Some of the render fell off and I could feel sodden foam.

br_inside.thumb.jpg.cbf2285caa7924cfe5d3b8faa78d1eed.jpg

Top right

tr_outside.thumb.jpeg.c51b7f497d51a2f7af341db804250bbc.jpeg

Again the old foam added to try and stop/hide the leak? Foam is probably supporting the render.

tr_inside.thumb.jpeg.96b91e1dac21e517832c63a1231c2f03.jpeg

And the bottom:

bottom_outside.thumb.jpg.07a002409c59db127600e72f89a6073a.jpg

bottom_inside.thumb.jpg.7bf423af43c3fda3ee3247fb8bfcec4f.jpg

When looking for leaks, start at the top. Find the highest wet point. Many people say they have multiple leaks when it’s actually just one and the water or oil is creeping downwards anywhere it can.

may just be an optical illusion but the fill appears to slope backwards towards the window, if it does this needs sorting out too.

rotten timber sucks in moisture like a sponge so any rot around the brickwork or render needs replacing.

good luck, full heigh bay windows can be a pain to find and cure leaks

26 minutes ago, Sparrowhawk said:

Thanks @markc. When you say "the fill appears to slope backwards towards the window" which bit are you looking at?

Edit: sill I think? That is an optical illusion, it slopes outwards

Cill not fill,  doh! You bet me to it

Edited by markc