TRV v Lockshield & do I need Lockshield valves?

AChristie

Evening, so we're in the process of installing some new rads into a gas boiler CH system.

Also have a new towel rail in an en-suite (with a manual valve).

I have purchased the rads, based upon BTU requirements and i ordered some TRV valves to go with each new rad. 

There are a couple of old rads still hanging around (which we may replace also TBC, they too have TRVs).

However, just recently heard about another type of valve - Lockshield. Done some reading up and can't understand in what situation i would need them, or how many etc. 

I went back to where I purchased my TRVs from and can see there is an option to have TRVS with (and without) lockshield. 

How do I know if i need lockshield, valves? What do they do?

Cheers

Go back to your supplier and buy some self-balancing trvs packs with lockshield valves. You then use an app to set the valve to the correct flow and off you go. Balancing using just the lockshields can be a painful endeavour, depending on the brand of lockshield. Lots of videos on YouTube as always which will help you. Oh, and for fitting both your trvs and lockshields I'd recommend you buy to Loctite 55 thread sealing cord - easier and quicker to get a good seal compared to using ptfe tape.

• Like 1