Advice on the Right Subsoil for My London Garden

Subsoil  

4 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi all,

I'm doing a gardening project in my London home and really need some advice regarding the best choice of subsoil. Here's a quick rundown:

I've dug a trench about 60 cm deep and 30 cm wide, totalling approximately 30 meters around the garden's perimeter to lay an electric cable for outdoor lighting. The existing subsoil was primarily clay-based, so I disposed of it, thinking it might be best to bring in a new, better-quality subsoil instead of trying to amend the clay.

The dilemma arose when I approached a few companies to purchase the new subsoil. While I initially believed that the British Standard (BS8601:2013) would be the obvious first choice, some suppliers advised against it, suggesting a free-draining alternative. It's worth noting that the price difference between the two is minimal, so this isn't a cost-related issue. They mention compaction as a primary concern with the BS option, which threw me for a loop.

So now I'm at a crossroads: do I stick with my initial inclination toward the BS8601:2013 Subsoil, or do I heed the advice of the professionals and opt for the free-draining alternative?

I'd greatly appreciate any insights or experiences anyone could share to help me make the best decision for my garden and achieve my ultimate goal of adding topsoil and lay fresh turf. Thanks in advance!

Ron

Hi @ronald_1978

I'm not sure whether you're aware (and hat-tip to @ProDave who spotted it), but this post can't be replied to by members. I can only reply because I'm a moderator.

I think you may have clicked on the circled box when you set it up:

image.png.de39ff6d83e58c8bd35c22abf8936930.png

I don't think the mods can change this after posting, so if you'd like answers to your questions rather than just poll responses, I'd recommend re-posting your question again as a new poll, without checking that box. Once you've done that we'll delete the first post.

Thanks

Jack

• Like 1