Party wall. New Build Within 3m of Neighbour

RussH

Our new build will be within 3 metres of our neighbours property, 1.2 metres to be exact. The footing will be 600mm deep (based on trial holes and structural engineer design)

Our neighbour wants a party wall agreement. Which I guess is sensible, so we're in "dispute".

So I've tried a few surveyor's and either get no response or that it's going to be very costly and protracted process. I just spoke to one, who was very helpful, but he is fully booked until end of October and says he has been working on an agreement since January!!

He also told me that he can not act for both parties, so our neighbour will need to find a surveyor as well. 

Location is near Pwllheli, north Wales.

Any suggestions or advice on this? I'd hoped to sort this between ourselves, taking photos of his property. The structural engineer was very relaxed about any potential issues and was a bit taken aback by the neighbours stance.

There is no need to each have your own surveyors. You can both agree to use the same surveyor who can draw up the PWA. If you go down the route of each having One, you have to pay for both of them. When they don't agree with each other, you will have to pay for a third to make a ruling. It will drag on forever, and cost you a fair amount of money. Try and get your neighbour to agree to use a single surveyor.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Big Jimbo said:

There is no need to each have your own surveyors. You can both agree to use the same surveyor who can draw up the PWA. If you go down the route of each having One, you have to pay for both of them. When they don't agree with each other, you will have to pay for a third to make a ruling. It will drag on forever, and cost you a fair amount of money. Try and get your neighbour to agree to use a single surveyor.

Thanks for the reply. My take was that a single surveyor could do it as well. So that's great news! I was surprised when the guy I spoke to told me he couldn't do it. I'm sure our neighbour will be fine with that.

Now still struggling to find someone to actually return calls/emails 🙄😂

• Like 1