Capping a chimney which finishes in the loft

I have an old fireplace which has had the chimney removed by the previous owners. The chimney finishes at the loft floor but has been left completely open leaving a large void connecting the loft area and the room below.

Currently there is just a large hole from the loft floor down to the fireplace in the room below which is a magnet for draughts and dust.

Everything I read suggests you must let an unused chimney breathe but I'm wondering if this just applies to chimneys which still have the pots going through the roof and if I can safely seal off the bottom or top of this fireplace to prevent draughts?

Keen to keep the fireplace in the room as a "feature" if possible

I'd second that. If the chimney was complete then the upper parts could suffer condensation as the weather patterns changed. Venting the flue would help to remove moisture laden air. If it is now entirely within the heated part of the house and you are only looking to stop the warm air leaking into the roof void above the insulation then cover the redundant flue with insulation (preferably with a ply panel to stop someone accidently stepping through it!).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, kandgmitchell said:

I'd second that. If the chimney was complete then the upper parts could suffer condensation as the weather patterns changed. Venting the flue would help to remove moisture laden air. If it is now entirely within the heated part of the house and you are only looking to stop the warm air leaking into the roof void above the insulation then cover the redundant flue with insulation (preferably with a ply panel to stop someone accidently stepping through it!).

Brilliant answer. Thanks so much.