Hydronic fan coils…

HughF

Considering our options for radiator alternatives in the rest of the house.

Are the Smiths hydronic fan coils any good, or are they complete junk?

Does anyone know if they are cooking capable (condensate drain, cleanable)?

Ignore me, my wife doesn’t want the option of cooling (the narrow minded fool 🤣), so it’s back to loosing wall space to oversized radiators.

Still, a bit cheaper I suppose so I can’t complain.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, that escalated…. Having removed the old rad from the hallway wall, and from the kitchen, pending a new kitchen, my wife quite liked the wall space that appeared.

3x smiths ecovectors on order for Thursday. Hallway, kitchen and a 12v for the bathroom.

And fitted…. Not yet wired as the electrician is doing his thing. 

They have a thermal switch that turns the fans on at 37deg flow, should work just fine as the bottom end of my curve is 38 degrees iirc.

• 1 month later...

A month in, and an update on the smiths ecovector fan coils.

they’re not bad, pretty simple things with zero electronics inside. The metalwork isn’t bad quality and the screws go back in when you take the covers off.

Having the thermal switch means I can leave them switched ‘on’ and they’ll fire up when the time clock raises the flow temperature to ‘day’ mode.

The fan isn’t as quiet as a good quality air-air unit from daikin, but I haven’t had any complaints about the noise. 

The 12v one in the bathroom does a good job of keeping that space warm and dry.

Were they cheap, no….. do they do the job, yes. Would I prefer the reverso units, yes…. Did the reverso units fit the wall space, no…. 🤣

I’ve got one in the hall/stairwell area, one in the kitchen/lounge and one in the bathroom.

Edited by HughF
  • Like 1