Dilemma- How to fix sliding door frame to new steel opening and remove gap

Hi, 

Was wondering if someone can help with my dilemma around having aluminium sliding doors secured to a newly built opening. The opening consists of a steel beam that goes across with steel posts either side. On the underside of the beam in each corner there are steel plates that are secured to the underside of the beam with bolts. 

My problem is that when the glazers come to install the sliding door frames - the thickness of the plate along with the bolts will create a large gap between the steel beam and the frame. I'm trying to figure out the best way to pack this gap so it insulates and seals the gap as well as stopping any deflection of the aluminium door frames.  Also on the external side- what is the best material to finish the underside/overhang of the steel between the sliding door aluminium frame and corner of the steel beam and how does it adhere to the surface?

I've attached an image to give an idea of one of the openings where I'm planning on installing wall to wall, floor to ceiling sliding doors. Any help would be much appreciated!

Many thanks,

steel connection.jpg

You need some gap to allow the doors to be fitted and take up and level discrepancies in the beam etc. if the bolt heads are fouling then I would countersink them and fit countersunk head bolts leaving flush with the cleat (bracket).

This is one of those 'if money was no object' type problems.

Most people would accept a slightly lower frame or a slightly narrower doorway. 

If you do want to modify the connection (either by welding, countersinking bolts) then you should go back to the engineer who designed the steelwork (or the connection) and see what they can advise.