Sewage Pumping Station Question

Sarah29

After much umming and arring and taking everyone's comments on board here on Buildhub...thanks! I've decided to avoid a Saniflo type systems.

This is what I'm currently thinking and would appreciate any comments/thoughts

- The new build property has a basement with a WC/Shower/Basin
 - The basement is below the main sewer invert level
 - Am thinking of having a gravity drainage setup for the basement WC/Shower/Basin that runs outside to a sewage pumping station with a single vortex pump adjacent to the house

A few questions on this - 

- As the lifting requirement is around 2m, I believe a macerator pump is not required, a vortex pump is fine. Is this correct?

- Has anyone had any noise/smell issues from sewage pumping stations being close to the house?

- Since this solution is for a basement, the sewage pumping station and drain runs will need to be fairly deep underground (around 3m) to allow the basement WC/Shower/Basin to gravity flow into it. Apart from this being a bit costly, are there any other problems with this I've not thought of? Building control/Structural warranty issues perhaps?

Thanks very much in advance! Sarah

I have a pumping station - about 2.5m deep with inlet at 1.0m. The pump just raised the effluent to an adjacent drain.

It has a single  DAB FEKA VS 550 pump. It is the least powerful ‘professional’  pump I could find since the lift is quite small and I was conscious of energy use if the pump was over sized. Though the sales folk advised not to undercook the pump lest blockages result. As it happens the pump rate is so high it only needs to pump for 5s every 45 mins for our complete 4 person household needs, so energy is negligible anyway.

It has been installed just over a year and there have been no problems whatsoever.

Building regs specificy the size of buffer needed in case of power cut. (Part H if I remember rightly). That may determine how deep you have to go beneath the inlet to the chamber. I didn’t quite meet the requirement but when I mentioned it to the BCO they were fine with it (seemed I knew more about the regs than they did).

Digging a very deep hole near to your foundations would need the consideration of a structural engineer I suggest.

• Thanks 1