Hello! Looking for that ideal plot...

andrius

Hi all, long-time lurker, first time poster! Have self-built 2 family homes with my grandad before, outside of the UK. Decided that I want to raise a family here, so looking for that ideal plot. Wife commutes to office in London, so has to be in one of the neighbouring counties. Less concerned about "views" and more thinking about pollution levels, flooding risks, ease of planning permissions etc...

I have a software engineering background, so taking plot search from a data science angle. So far I have mapped out motorways/A-roads/Railways, plotted ~2km "exclusion zones" around them and will soon start reaching out to land owners. Wish me luck!

Screenshotfrom2023-08-0111-38-58.thumb.png.75f9820f578696c546b00556afdc98cc.png

Welcome.

I see you might be looking in my old stomping ground: Charlbury / Chipping Norton . Lovely place if you can ignore Clarkson's pervasive domineering rudeness - and the set that surround him - in Chippy ...

You might want to think about Hook Norton - just outside Chippy - adds two minutes to the trip to Charlbury station - but they make Old Hooky there. As in ....

Wassa Matter Lager-Boy: frightened you might taste summat ?

Where have you built before ? 

I ask because we might learn from your experience - share it even? 

5 hours ago, ToughButterCup said:

Welcome.

I see you might be looking in my old stomping ground: Charlbury / Chipping Norton . Lovely place if you can ignore Clarkson's pervasive domineering rudeness - and the set that surround him - in Chippy ...

You might want to think about Hook Norton - just outside Chippy - adds two minutes to the trip to Charlbury station - but they make Old Hooky there. As in ....

Wassa Matter Lager-Boy: frightened you might taste summat ?

Where have you built before ? 

I ask because we might learn from your experience - share it even? 

In an EU country, best to leave it at that :)

2 hours ago, andrius said:

What do you think the biggest expense will be?

The closer you want to be the London, but outside the M25 will be some of the most expensive land available. Especially with planning permission, as a lot of that land will be Greenbelt.

47 minutes ago, twice round the block said:

Plot, if you can find one. You'll be in competition with lot's of small developer's.

Then having to sit on it for 18 month's as the local planning department try and make a decision of reducing your 5 bed home down to 2.

Yeah, what I expected. I've read that being non-developer is actually an advantage when talking with farmers/landowners?