Hello experts- looking to be enlightened :)

rcast1989

Hi all, 

Very much looking forward to seeking all the help and advice required of a young couple taking the plunge into our first family home ( and self-build).

We have a lovely plot on Clydebank, Glasgow but it is drought with obstacles for modern-day options such as SIPS, modular and timber kit, namely access!

The local lane is very narrow and despite going to some of the big names ( fleming homes etc.) the SIPS/timber kits would be too wide to easily get through the lane which is 9 feet wide at its worst. 

The feedback has been we will need to complete a "stick build" and know now what that is but can't seem to find anyone local that does residential. 

Have added to timber build forum if anyone can help over there :) 

Edited by rcast1989
moved to appropriate sub-forum

Most decent joiners will be able to stick build. It just means the timber frame is built on-site rather than built as panels in a factory then brought to site. Stick built will likely be cheaper to build and it’s safer for you financially. A lot of joiners can also do contract builds by bringing in trades to do the bits they don’t do. The joiner I’m using does this for example although I have actually done all of that in my case. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

Most decent joiners will be able to stick build. It just means the timber frame is built on-site rather than built as panels in a factory then brought to site. Stick built will likely be cheaper to build and it’s safer for you financially. A lot of joiners can also do contract builds by bringing in trades to do the bits they don’t do. The joiner I’m using does this for example although I have actually done all of that in my case. 

I have heard across the forum there is lots to be saved by doing a lot of the timber work yourself but unfortunately, I lack the knowledge and time to assist in this area. 

I guess it really recommendations for where to turn I need locally or where to search.