G3 certificate for Direct Unvented Cylinder other than Gas Safe

In our renovation we are using A2A for Heating/Cooling and Direct Unvented Cylinder for Hot Water. The plumber who did all plumbing and Cylinder has G3 Qualification and also on Gas Safe Register. However he told me that he can't self certify using Gas Safe as they have changed the rules and only allow Cylinders connected to Gas Appliances. Gas Safe seems most popular scheme for plumbers so I am not sure what to look for in another plumber or service provider.

Did anyone else faced similar issues and how did you resolve it? Thanks

• 2 months later...
On 24/07/2023 at 15:00, severnside said:

In our renovation we are using A2A for Heating/Cooling and Direct Unvented Cylinder for Hot Water. The plumber who did all plumbing and Cylinder has G3 Qualification and also on Gas Safe Register. However he told me that he can't self certify using Gas Safe as they have changed the rules and only allow Cylinders connected to Gas Appliances. Gas Safe seems most popular scheme for plumbers so I am not sure what to look for in another plumber or service provider.

Did anyone else faced similar issues and how did you resolve it? Thanks

Not sue if you found a resolution for this.  I did a training course for G3, took a day at a local college (I'm not a plumber by trade) and you can then self certify for yourself for 5 years. Get the plumber to do the leg work and all the plumbing, you oversee it and sign off.

But if the plumber is G3 certified, he's G3 certified, he just cannot register the install via the gas safe register.  Talk to the council planning people, tell them the story as your previous post.  If the council needs the install registered (ours doesn't and isn't interested), he can do it direct with the council for a small fee.