Online planning map providers

sharpener

• 2 weeks later...

What was the specific reason for invalidility?

I've seen plenty of councils accept Land Regisitry title plans as site location plans. I've also used UK planning maps and a 1:1250 site location plan PDF from them meets the requirements.

If the issue is with the block plan then it usually needs to be at a scale of 1:200 or 1:500 and should show the proposed location for the heat pump.

11 hours ago, BigBub said:

What was the specific reason for invalidility?

Various, e.g. lack of North arrow, no scale bar, no copyright licence, cba to put all that in when I could download one said to be compliant as per link above for under £20.

Remains to be seen if it will pass muster, I will post back here either way.

On 24/07/2023 at 00:09, sharpener said:

Remains to be seen if it will pass muster, I will post back here either way.

Happy to report that the pdf bought from UK Planning Maps passed validation by ####### District Council yesterday. The online markup for the site boundary worked OK for me after a bit of practice despite what one of the reviews says. The hard copies turned up from Kirkwall 48 hours later, not really necessary but bought as an insurance, printed on good stiff paper and not creased in transit.

I edited the file to add the proposed heat pump (a tiny rectangle 3 x 9 pixels!) using IrfanView, which is a free download, to convert to .bmp and using MS Paint to edit, then the reverse. Some advice on the website on how to do this would be helpful.

Conclusion: does what it says on the tin!

Edited by sharpener
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...

Old thread I know (just browsing) but Open Street Map copyright is a generous "you are free to copy, distribute, transmit and adapt our data, as long as you credit OpenStreetMap and its contributors". I just imported them into a free GIS package I'd used for plotting peat depths on my croft (QGIS 3) and added the North marker and site boundary etc. My LA was quite happy with the maps, met all the requirmenets.

Whilst you could use Open Street Maps to produce a site location plan, many Council's will require the location plan to use an up to date OS map. The OS maps are much more accurate and detailed than Open Street map, and will also generally show the site boundary which is not really shown on Open Street map. See comparison picture.

There is the INSPIRE Index Polygons spatial dataset which you can download and add on to QGIS on top of Open Street maps though which helps show site boundaries based on freehold property registrations.

image.thumb.png.09b028fbb74c7f4f2def83b8d935f74e.png