Solar on detached garage roof

Ok then this may be a silly question so bear with.

Builders due to start work on our double garage imminently. It's detached and will be about 60 metres away from the bungalow. There is a power cable already from the old garage that was demolished (power cable runs from the bungalow to garage underground).

We were looking into batteries but I'm wondering if we should consider more solar on the garage, specifically in roof panels. On the bungalow we have  12 X 320w panels and Growatt 3600 and our Solic diverting excess to immersion and are also exporting any extra.  I am presuming to add extra we would need DNO permission but I guess in terms of connecting the garage up to the bungalow for import/exporting it would be a nightmare and involve all sorts of issues to get to the inverter etc.

I'm just installing additional panels two x 1710W about 52m from the consumer unit.  Have calculated the voltage drop and power loss in AC and DC and found the losses in DC were basically half the AC losses.  So you may want to consider having a split array on the garage roof, then run a 6mm2 4 core armoured cable from the garage to house and mount the battery and inverter there.

Armoured cable can be surface run if you want.

• Like 1

The Growatt 3600 spec sheet Ive just looked at says you can have 5kw of PV connected, so you may be able to add another 1.4kw ish to the existing inverter without involving your DNO. How much PV can you get on the garage and what direction does the garage and existing array face?

• Like 1