To design or not to design….

HughF

I’ve got a 125mm slab going down next week in my extension, on 200 of pir. It’s not large, just 2.8x5…. 

Do I need to bother designing this in loopcad or can I just bang down some pipe on 150 centres and call it done?

Plan is to run it off an ashp.

Edited by HughF

With 200mm PIR you can can do just about any centres you like and still have low flow temps. Mine on 300mm and flow temp at zero degs outside is just under 30.

On 150mm centers you gain a degree or so.

I would just put it in - divide room into 2 one loop each side, so the loops are similar lengths. Put the supply pipe near the outside walls and return coming back out the middle. Done

33 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

I like the first one, as there appears to be less bends to do.

Agreed, It was the first suggestion that loopcad spat out. I'll go with that then.

It turns out we’ve ended up with 240mm of PIR under the slab. That’s a result indeed. 100 and 140 cross laid (the 140 is left over from another job so we’ve only got to run the merchants for some 100mm. 40mm on the sides is the plan, as the pb and skirting will cover it

Edited by HughF

Quick trip to site after work today to follow on behind the builders. 

My wife gave me a hand and it went down (sort of) according to plan in about an hour. 

Because of space constraints, I’m going to take the loops through a core in this wall then fit the manifold in the kitchen cupboard that’s the other side. Will press on some 16mm elbows and stuff all 4 through a 80mm ish core.

IMG_3022.thumb.jpeg.288296b3b23463d4c562f72c7064fc18.jpeg

Edited by HughF