M regs cloakroom: toilet by the door is less private

dontyouworry

Hello,

I have just found out that due to M4(1) Building Regulations, we will need to swap our toilet (privately positioned) with the sink (the toilet will have to have 250mm overlap with the door). This will make the noises more audible outside and the toilet readily visible upon opening the door. Am I reading the regulations correctly? It feels like this is exactly how toilets should not be built (note: the accessibility points are not valid since this is a guest toilet, and no guest will transfer onto the toilet with the door still open). Below is the new design.

Anything I could do to fix the issues listed?

Thank you in advance :)

Screenshot 2023-02-09 at 16.22.01.png

unnamed.png

1 hour ago, dontyouworry said:

Am I reading the regulations correctly?

No, you're not.

If the basin doesn't project further forward than the door, you can enter the room without obstruction and get 750mm unobstructed frontal access.

58 minutes ago, Mike said:

No, you're not.

If the basin doesn't project further forward than the door, you can enter the room without obstruction and get 750mm unobstructed frontal access.

Do you think they would need to be able to turn though and approach the toilet still on the wheelchair?

36 minutes ago, Conor said:

Is this your only ground floor WC? If not, the regs do not apply if you have another accessible WC.

It's the only toilet downstairs.

Edited by dontyouworry