Spon's Price Books

Drellingore

Do folks here have informed opinions about the usefulness of Spon's Architects' and Builders' Price Book? I bought a copy last year when trying to do a finer-grained cost estimate, and found it moderately useful even if lots of things weren't covered in it. Certainly quicker than calling a bazillion people for ballpark figures, which is all I needed at that point in time.

I just looked at the 2023 cover, and the Tender Price Index is 149.3, compared to the 2022 edition's 132. That suggests prices are up 13.1% averaged across all the things. That sounds about right to me, based on what little exposure I've had to the rising costs of material and labour. Do the better informed netizens of BuildHub think that sounds about right?

4 hours ago, Drellingore said:

Do folks here have informed opinions about the usefulness of Spon's Architects' and Builders' Price Book? ...

Way back when, I bought the 2018 version, and with it the licence to use the online version. £80 odd I think.... 

I liked it because there was a phase in the build when Price-BullScheiẞe  reigned, and I needed lots of stuff which I knew less than nothing about. As a general indication , it was just what I needed. Many folk seemed to think that I had spent too much on a less than accurate text: for me it was more than worth owning because I didn't take their numbers as the definitive. 

The ability to search the database quickly online was very instructive. For example, I had no idea the MoT3 existed until I bumped into it online. No idea what it was, but SPONS had (has?) a good dozen entries about MoT3. The context of the entry was very informative. 

To balance those who did not spare their criticism of my purchase,  a good few BHubbers PM'ed me privately for a 'quote'

Here's what I've written about the subject

• Like 1