New Member - What materials to use on a replacement garage build.

rich1899

What materials etc etc.... to use on a replacement garage build.

Hello to one and All

I have background as a mechanical design engineer, production management as well as some limited time in design work for construction. I’ve been retired for quite some time and I'm looking to replace my existing 1950's prefab corrugated sheet garage, which is what you would call a "standard single garage size garage" which has had in its time one or two add-ons over the years with a one-off bespoke shaped garage build to replace the lot.

I know that materials are constantly going up and up and as well as labour costs, and like everyone I want to keep the cost to as low as possible and would like to maximise the internal space of the new garage. Now the existing structure is more or less on the boundaries, so would be looking to build the new structure in the same place. The current floor slabs are all more or less at the same finished floor level, but without excavating them I don’t know what their thicknesses are, if they are reinforced and if any of them have vapour linings at their bases (I expect none of the last two).

My existing garage is jammed to the rafters with everything the wife and kids have thrown in there over the years, as well as all my tools, equipment and 4x4 car parts off a project that has long stalled, (a good reason to have a new garage).

So I first have to sort out what I’m keeping, clean it, package it into 90L tubs (which will be reused in new build for storage) and find a storage unit for everything to go into so the existing structures can be taken down. I am looking for the cheapest storage possible.

So,

1) Do I need planning permission to modernise an existing garage structure?

2) Can I pour a new slab over the existing slabs, obviously using standard practices, (I’ve calculated the garage floor has a slope of approx. 1.16 degree slope over the garage's total length, okay doesn't sound a lot, but it equates to a total height distance of 192mm between top floor point to bottom floor point over a length of the garage (approx.7m)

3) I am looking for the cheapest storage container, farmers barn, shack that’s within 15-miies of where I live (Cwmbran, Torfaen, South Wales) if anyone can help, please get in touch.

I’m not in any rush as I’ve used the existing garage for the past 30 years but would like to get the ball rolling once the warmer weather comes about (Never, lol).

I’m open to what type of structure to build or have built. I have thought of a standard timber frame structure with as I can build these myself in predetermined sections that can be stored in my garden ready to install, with an external insulated corrugated sheet or larch T&G as a finished external finish

All help and advice will be greatly received.

Many thanks

Richard.

try to rent a garage off the council to store your current stuff in. or ask on a local facebook group if someone would rent you some space.

100mm 7n blacks would probably be the cheapest. a single garage would probably not need any planning approval but when you have figured out what you want to build its worth sending an email to  the local planning department just to confirm.