Joist hangers onto masonry

NickK

Hi,

Probably silly question but if I want attach a joist hanger onto an existing wall to build extension, how to fix joist hanger so they secure and can hold the weight joists and overall roof build up?

Simple straight on to the brick? If so what fixings?

Attach long timber on the brick wall and then hang of that? Again what would be best fixing for the timber plate to the wall?

I can only see timber to masonry hangers that you’d slot onto a brick from the top when building up but that is not an option for extension. Or is it?

Thanks for advice 

3 minutes ago, NickK said:

Hi,

Probably silly question but if I want attach a joist hanger onto an existing wall to build extension, how to fix joist hanger so they secure and can hold the weight joists and overall roof build up?

Simple straight on to the brick? If so what fixings?

Attach long timber on the brick wall and then hang of that? Again what would be best fixing for the timber plate to the wall?

I can only see timber to masonry hangers that you’d slot onto a brick from the top when building up but that is not an option for extension. Or is it?

Thanks for advice 

Without seeing and knowing the whole picture/story I cannot be certain, but usually you would attach a ledger board/plate to the existing building. This is usually fixed with resin anchors - your SE drawings will give fixing details I would have thought?

You usually remove the render, if any, back to brick so you can get a good fixing into the centres of bricks. I used M16 resin fixings on 600mm centres.

Edited by Carrerahill

9 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

your SE drawings will give fixing details

Not that far yet. Just curious, if I go ahead and build a small extension myself, I’d want have some confidence      in what I’m doing rather than bodge it. Thank you