Oil tanks. Limtations?

Roger440

Looking at a rework of existing arrangements.

House currently has a 1000 lite tank. This is too small and leaves me at the mercy of the markets. A much bigger one will allow me to pick and choose when to fill.

The "internet" suggests 3500 lite max in a domestic setting.

I also have a large barn that is used as a workshop (for personal use). So, ideally another tank.

The regs for oil storage aree split between, domestic, commercial and agricultural.

So the questions are,

1, Does the 3500 limit for domestic apply to the whole property, or is it "per tank" and i can have more than one?

2, Given its a small holding, and the barn is "probably" agricultural, (even though there was no plasnning approval) is it domestic, or agricultural. Or even commercial?

3, Having read all the regs, im none the wiser. 3500 to supply both buildings is not really where i want to be. But can it be 2 tanks totalling 3500 or is it one tank only?

Any thoughts? 

@Roger440 3500 is the limit under planning / PD for an oil tank before you need to apply for permission - that’s the limiting factor. 

Nothing stopping you putting a pair side by side - just as long as you meet the Oil storage regs about distance from buildings etc.

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

@Roger440 3500 is the limit under planning / PD for an oil tank before you need to apply for permission - that’s the limiting factor. 

Nothing stopping you putting a pair side by side - just as long as you meet the Oil storage regs about distance from buildings etc.

Thats good news. No desire to involve and planning people. No good can come from that.

2 seperate 3500l tanks would be ok.