What is best fix leaking roof

Katie78

Buying this property extension at back has this gully when built 77ish to enable headroom so survey done roof is leaking and beams under it are damp ones black.  Owner now in home son has been made aware sending out roofer to look at it to quote for fix which I’ve requested prior to exchange surveyor told me to get gully replaced for flat roof rather than unblock/fix felt I’m keen for a proper fix would you say this best as I’ve never seen this type of roof before? Also this is on south coast about 0.5mile inland from sea and the forward view of other houses is north facing if this helps.

B31957EA-8FB4-434F-8449-89FC5BABCBC4.jpeg

Deary me, 

It's an inherently compromised design, but not beyond salvage. Nothing is really it's just a matter of cost.

I would advise getting a your own roofer to have a good poke at the timbers in the roof and existing construction. It may be a couple of hours labour out of your pocket for their time but it will be well worth it to have an independent quote. 

It may be a simple fix of initially unblocking the gully and then later fiber glassing a new ridge or taking the roof to an apex and putting a proper ridge on it. Worst case the roof timbers are rotten, the whole thing needs to come off. Then you're in a position to negotiate something on the price or walk away.  

Thank you from the internal pictures the timber that lay under the gully part are damp but none of the main roof beams that go up trusses not sure of correct term  however planning won’t let the roof line go any higher and my thoughts were to push for or pay difference to have flat roof but agree I’ll ask for an independent quotes as were relocating down from Herts so I don’t have any contacts down there neither do my parents who live in the area 

Maybe start a new topic with a request for a trusted roofer in the area you are hoping to move to. There's a big network of folk here. They can reply by PM too if preferred. 

There's a chunk of me that thinks you could probably just build a proper apex if you were on good terms with the neighbours and planning would never bother you. Either way a fiberglass cap would work fine too. 

Thanks for the feedback it’s much appreciated slap my wrists here for any typos/punctuation too 🤣

Good idea re requesting help in area as a new topic personally I’d love to sort it out with a proper apex but not moved in yet but get the impression there’s a few curtain twitchers and we’re planning an extension so I suspect we may not get away with that!!! 

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

Where are the Punctuation Police when you need them? 😂

One should always include a set amount of typos, spelling and grammatical errors. 

It lays a ready trap for the deviants to expose themselves.....😁

• Like 1