Adding an extension … do we need self-build insurance

KayleyH

We are having an extension built through a combination of groundworks company doing the foundations and up to damp course level, us doing brickwork, oak frame company supplying and assembling the frame, us doing roof tiles, oak frame company supplying and fitting the glazing and us doing internal plasterwork etc Do we need self-build insurance?  I guess if we might have individuals / friends helping then some sort of liability cover would be good.  Trying to get my head around situations where we might need to be covered.  Any advice appreciated.  

I build a whole house without, but it depends you risk aversion.

Friends helping out may not be covered anyway.  Just would need to carefully check policy wording.  It maybe your current home insurance covers you, maybe worth asking.  We had a rental once, we spoke to insurance people they just asked for a small premium while work was ongoing.  You will have tell them anyway, if you don't they may void the insurance anyway, if you tried to claim.

I did EWI and small extension last year (and this year, but I haven't re-started yet!). Already had my own PL ins'ce as I had only just given up regular contracting. Changed home insurers before I began as my exg insurer was being silly. Can't remember all the detail, but it felt less than helpful. Paid for P.L insurance for my chosen 'helpers' . 

Edited by Redbeard
Added re PL ins'ce