Basic Loft Ladder

I need a reasonable basic loft ladder for a small space - it lands inside a 3'x4' closet from an 8' ceiling with the hatch at one side.. The plan is to create a built in storage box at one side strong enough to stand on where the ladder will land between a pair of battens to keep it steady.

Does anyone have any knowledge of problems with either of these? They are not my favourites as one has to be careful with fingers but I can think of no easy alternatives.

B&Q:

http://www.diy.com/departments/3-section-12-tread-sliding-triple-extension-loft-ladder/1495363_BQ.prd

or Screwfix:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/37090-loft-ladder-aluminium-3-section-12-tread/7431p

Both are 3 section sliding aluminium for use in a tight space, probably with the existing "push up and sideways" hatch. I do not have space for a wooden folding ladder. 

Cheers 

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

I recently fitted the two section Screwfix one to access my garage loft.  There are two issues with it.  The first is that the plastic sliders on the top brackets are very stiff, so stiff that sliding the ladder up or down is pretty hard work.  Short of making new parts I can't see an easy fix, as they are moulded from something like nylon, and are riveted together, so not that easy to take off and machine the grooves out a bit.  The second issue is that the ladder itself flexes a lot, far more than the two section alloy one we had at the old house.  It's OK for very occasional use, but it's not the most reassuring ladder to use, because of the sideways flex.

2 hours ago, JSHarris said:

I recently fitted the two section Screwfix one to access my garage loft.  There are two issues with it.  The first is that the plastic sliders on the top brackets are very stiff, so stiff that sliding the ladder up or down is pretty hard work.  Short of making new parts I can't see an easy fix, as they are moulded from something like nylon, and are riveted together, so not that easy to take off and machine the grooves out a bit.  The second issue is that the ladder itself flexes a lot, far more than the two section alloy one we had at the old house.  It's OK for very occasional use, but it's not the most reassuring ladder to use, because of the sideways flex.

One of those silcone based lubricants from Halfords which I used to instantly repair my sticky seat belts when the garage wanted to charge me £250 for a new one to get me through the MOT? Or moving it up and down 100 times might help a little.

Probably need to take care to keep off the steps themselves :-).

I tried a bit of motorcycle chain lube spray, hoping that would stay in place on the sliding part, but it hasn't really helped much.  I might give the silicone stuff a try, as somewhere I've got a small spray tin of the stuff for lubricating car door hinges and stays.

27 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

I tried a bit of motorcycle chain lube spray, hoping that would stay in place on the sliding part, but it hasn't really helped much.  I might give the silicone stuff a try, as somewhere I've got a small spray tin of the stuff for lubricating car door hinges and stays.

Would be interested to hear about the results.