0.75mm Armoured or…???

PeterW

Interesting one ..! Got some very low wattage lights to be installed into a wooden retaining wall. The lights are 85w x 45h x 55d and sit inside a sleeve - actual light is IP55 and has small glands for water penetration from the back of the units. The question is what to run to them as they will be powered from the back with the cable running approx 300mm below ground level along the back of the retaining wall. 

A very thin armoured would be preferable but would need

gland / adaptable box every 1.2m which would make it quite expensive to do for 8 of them and finding 0.75mm armoured 2 core is a challenge. SY has been suggested but I think it would have to be run in conduit, but wonder if at that point just running H07RN would be just as quick as the conduit provides the protection anyway. 

Thoughts ..?

Yes, don’t do it!

I’ve fitted countless of these type of lights in the past within retaining walls. They always end up filling up with moisture and causing problems. IP55 is not enough for the environment it will be subjected to. 

In my experience you need to be looking at IP68, which generally means ELV. I normally use Collingwood. Problems are extremely rare and it’s much safer as a bonus. 

Don’t be tempted to use SY whatever light fittings you decide upon. It’s not a substitute for SWA and it’s certainly not designed to be used outside as the UV will destroy it (I’ve seen countless AC installs where this has happened). 

H07 in ducting is a decent choice if going with ELV