Second disconnection fee?

Mr Blobby

Our DNO (NIE) disconnected the old leccy supply, removed the meter and the old house was demolished in June.  I paid NIE for the disconnection work in the summer and their job was closed, all happy enough.

Then this week I get a bill from the old supplier (SSE) for 66 quid disconnection fee.  When SSE did not do the disconnection.  The robbing shits.

Is this second disconnection fee typical? 

Its a scam.  Is there any way to avoid paying it?

Fairly common to pay something to the supplier as well as the DNO, nominally for early termination of a fixed term contract, or a fee for them to retrieve their meter. I.e. made up costs, just because they can. 

3 minutes ago, joth said:

Fairly common to pay something to the supplier as well as the DNO, nominally for early termination of a fixed term contract, or a fee for them to retrieve their meter. I.e. made up costs, just because they can. 

We were out of contract, and NIE came and took the meter away, so just a made up fee. 

Did you notify SSE in advance?

Google found..

https://www.sseairtricity.com/uk/home/help-centre/understanding-your-bill/rates-and-charges/what-other-charges-might-i-be-billed-for/

Disconnection and reconnection charges

Description Explanation Cost (ex-VAT)
De-energisation fee (non-payment) Disconnection due to non-payment £66.00
De-energisation fee (other than non-payment) All other disconnections £66.00
Re-energisation fee (non-payment) Reconnection where property was disconnected due to non-payment £66.00
Re-energisation fee (other than non-payment) All other reconnections £109.00

The general terms and condition are here..

https://www.sseairtricity.com/assets/Terms/ElecNI/NI-Dom-Terms-21092012SSE.pdf

I can't see a Disconnection fee mentioned in your situation but it does talk about other charges in section 4. 

See also section 7. Was it disconnected on/before the date you had given to SSE?