Buying a tipper truck for self-build logistics

Hello all,

I hope to have a fairly big renovation/extension project coming up next year (currently negotiating a house purchase). I work in construction and think that Site logistic are always one of the more challenging and stressful hurdles to overcome on a project.

I will be doing a lot of the work myself and I'm considering buying a caged tipper truck for the project. I would like to know if any other self builder has bough one for their own project?

Site access is not the best as the property entrance is on a relatively busy road. There is driveway parking for say 3 or 4 cars however there is no road parking outstand the house.

Concrete deliveries, skips etc are going to cause unavoidable traffic headaches but I thought if I had a tipper I could at least reduced these. 

There are numerous building material yards near the property and having the tipper would provide great availably to pick up materials in required qualities as and when required and drive straight onsite with them.

Also I think a caged tipper could be a good alternative to a skip for waste disposal. I understand a waste disposal transport license is required but again, it would offer great flexibility and remove the stress of getting skip wagons on/off site.

If there was road side parking available I think the caged tipper would provide an even use. Not alone would it replace the need of a skip but also eliminate the hassle of obtaining a skip license.

Anyway would really appreciate to hear you opinion on above and indeed if you encountered challenging site logistics how you overcame them. 

I used my trailer on our last build But regretted not buying a tipper trailer 

Something that a remedied on our current build Whilst I have several vans It’s so handy to collect a couple of tone of sand bricks Or 4.8 joists 

• Like 1

100% get one - I had one on my last build and it was brilliant - the savings on skips alone is worth it. My top tip would be to keep builders bulk bags and separate out waste into wood offcuts (which people will collect together with pallets) other stuff you can take home and put into your bins (general waste and recycle) and then one for the tip. Only once you have a quanitity of bulk bags with waster that has to go to the tip do you pop 'em in the back of the tipper. I only needed to do two tip runs in the end. It never ceases to amaze me that once you have a skip on site, how quickly it get filled up. For aggregates and pallet load collections it was really handy and of course you can drive it right up to the front door for unloading...

• Like 1