written scheme of investigation (WSI)

JLB

Had our informal pre-planning report today - as expected, there is likely to be a planning condition around Archeology (unsuprisingly!)

They have advised that we will need a Written Scheme of Investigation to include an initially archeology evaluation with a trial trench on the footprint of the proposed dwelling.

Have others had to undergo this? Any suggestions of cost for the WSI and trench?

My worry is that they may find something and want to spend weeks documenting and removing everything

Thanks 

Yes, I have had 3 of these.  The first was 16 years ago for a single house and was done by the local archaeological group in return for a £100 donation.

They now insist on so-called professionals to undertake the work.

The latest was for a terrace of 7 houses and cost £800 for the WSI and £3000 for the watching brief and report.  What a waste of money, but no choice.  You can also get extras on your bill from the groundworkers if they hold things up.

• 3 weeks later...

Go step by step. I would first get a desk survey done to see if they think its worth doing anything at all. They might say no. They might suggest that a "watching brief" is needed when you dig your foundation trenches, or they might want a team of 50 students digging to Australia with teaspoons. You can't really tell how far these things will go.  Normally the planners can recommend someone to do the desk study.

Edited by Temp