Rear extension

Hi two questions, looking to do a rear extension and will be getting an architect in next month or so but curious on couple of things.  Plan is to build extension on back of house and knock through for big open plan living space.  Why do some builds knock through before starting the build and others build extension get it water tight then knock through. Surely the later is always the way to go.   2nd our existing kitchen and dining room was made open plan years ago so has an rsj in the middle running to the front of the house.  If we build an extension the wall where that rsj goes to would be gone. Assume we'd just need a larger one in its place to run to front of new extension and then 2 addition rsj crossing it for the openings.  Appreciate that structurle engineers would eventually answer these for me, but just like to know in advanced as I definitely don't want a Piller in the midde of the open plan room.  Cheers

You can do it either way 

Sometimes it may be that planning permission for the extension hasn’t come through and it saves time to get on with The inside whilst waiting for PP

Q 2 

Extending or adding a heavier longer steel won’t be an issue 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

we are currently in the middle of an extension project and while there are so many things I didn't know initially, I would now start by installing the RSJ in the right place before doing anything else. not demolishing the wall, just having the RSJ ready. it's a very messy job if done at a later stage and it simply adds to the "stress" of building works if you live in the building.

whereas if you don't need to worry about the beams, you build the extension and simply remove the wall without any worries or complications, one brick at a time... when done, everything else is done too.