Just had a leak onto pre-screeded floor - want some advice!

ADringer

Hi all,

In the middle of a renovation and our flooring is currently 100mm PIR boards sat on some freshly laid cement. The screed is due to go down tomorrow but just popped by the house to find a pipe leaking a lot of water!

I've turned the water supply off but I think it might have been running for a bit. I can hear a lot of squelching when walking over the boards.

I'm thinking that it would be a bad idea to screed tomorrow as this will trap a lot of water underneath - am I correct in this thinking? It doesn't sound right that we screed over water logged boards. Just want to be prepared when chatting to the builders tomorrow!

48 minutes ago, ADringer said:

It doesn't sound right that we screed over water logged boards.

No, not unless the water has some means of escape.

49 minutes ago, ADringer said:

on some freshly laid cement.

What is the material? Not 'cement' but concrete/ mortar or what?

How thick?  In theory trapping water in the concrete for ever might not be terminal, but it isn't the done thing, just in case.

34 minutes ago, Jilly said:

Think you are right, but shouldn't the 'freshly laid' cement be dry too? Waiting to hear what others think.

Sorry, by freshly laid I mean last week! We had it done, it wasn't existing.

10 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

No, not unless the water has some means of escape.

What is the material? Not 'cement' but concrete/ mortar or what?

How thick?  In theory trapping water in the concrete for ever might not be terminal, but it isn't the done thing, just in case.

Sorry, not sure what the material is exactly. We've dug up the existing concrete and then poured this material as the base for the PIR etc.