Preventing water running off side of slab and being trapped

maxdavie

Hello All, 

I'm on site piloting a WISA Spruce cnc-enabled construction kit-of-parts. Its the first time I've tested the parts, but also my first time building and on a construction site!

It poured yesterday and we had an emergency that I hadn't anticipated and so had no plan for. 

We had raised and levelled our sole plate, but not grouted or filled the gap beneath. (We have an insulated 'warm' raft slab, so the insulation is coming up the slab edge with a DPM outside it with a large overlap ready to be stapled, taped and lapped with the breather membrane when ready). We knew the rain was coming so were able to prep a bit. I took the DPM over the sole plate so rain couldn't wet the insulation board. 

But, what happened was that the rain fell, puddled on the slab and in places began to pour toward the edge, under the gap beneath the sole plate and probably straight into the insulation board where it'll be trapped - compromising it's performance. 

In the torrential rain, the quickest solution I could think of was to grab some bricks and squirt expanding foam insulation to form a makeshift gasket as a damm! It worked this time. But, its not a proper solution. 

Has anyone else encountered a similar issue and found a good solution? 

Thanks!

image.thumb.png.8ba1a5400bc22fb35be491b2504e7224.png

image.thumb.png.061f84f7a963ceb712440a2905036d27.png

I must be missing something here, it usually rains during construction and it’s not a problem, if you pull a dpm up with water inside them you are creating a dam which will prevent water draining away