Q Barn planning

Mark N

Hello, we will hopefully be buying a barn with Prior Approval for Q Barn status.  One of the conditions is that the development should be completed within 3 years of the approval.  This would leave us about a year, which is too tight to complete.  Does anyone have experience of this type of approval and implications of taking longer than the three years.  We are familiar with the normal 3 years to break ground but completion, especially with supply chains as they are seems very difficult. many thanks

Presumably the 3 year time limit was to minimise disruption for neighbours? In which case has work already started? If not then I see no reason why you couldn't get it changed to 3 years from start of development. Think I would try and get the vendor to ask the planners if such an ammendment would be possible and what you would need to do.

3 years is the standard clause for Class Q.

I think you will need professional advice because Class Q is for agricultural buildings and if you aren't farmers, you may not be able to get it restarted/extended. 

That said, getting full planning permission may be possible if you have Class Q as a precendent. 

Finally - in a year you can get to substantial exterior completion and if it's got a roof, walls and windows, who is going to go poking around inside?

• Like 1