Changing internal front door after porch added - still notifiable?

I can’t find any guidance over replacing the (externally rated) internal door to a closed porch with another externally rated door. If the porch wasn’t there it would be notifiable, but once the porch with its own external door was added does changing the internal door for a different one remain notifiable?

The case I am thinking of has a porch (unheated) with a upvc external door and the internal door is the old external door (with single glazing), but it is so ugly that it just has to go. The new door would be external spec with double glazed glass etc. 

You can change a front door, it’s permitted development. 

A construction project is notifiable if the construction work is expected to:

1. last longer than 30 working days and have more than 20 workers working at the same time at any point on the project or.

2. exceed 500 person days.

Are you in a conservation area?

Edited by CharlieKLP

1 hour ago, CharlieKLP said:

You can change a front door, it’s permitted development. 

A construction project is notifiable if the construction work is expected to:

1. last longer than 30 working days and have more than 20 workers working at the same time at any point on the project or.

2. exceed 500 person days.

Are you in a conservation area?

True, but if it isn’t fitted by fensa/certass it needs BC sign off as an external door. If it still counts as an external door that is….

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

Plus the fact who is ever going to know?🤷‍♂️

There is that, of course.

Its complicated by the fact that I am planning to change a upvc window too. The window needs fensa/certass/bc, but if the door doesn’t I can just get the chippy that will be doing internal doors to do that one.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have an answer from building control, who were very helpful.

Provided the internal door into the porch is still to external door spec as I am planning to do then it isn’t notifiable. This is handy as I can just get the chippy that is replacing other internal doors to do that too.

I also asked them about a window that I wanted to reduce in size. The new window is obviously notifiable and could be covered by FENSA/Certass, but changing the opening size is also notifiable and wouldn’t be covered under the competent person scheme so that would need a separate application.

(That application to change the opening size could also cover the window fitting, so a builder that wasn’t Fensa/certass registered could do both on one application.)