Metal Roof instead of Tiled Roof

mike2016

My planning permission states I will use a black tiled roof. Not having much luck getting any quotes so thought I'd switch to a metal standing seam roof. But what are the planning implications if any? The front is mostly solar PV but the rear will be very visible from the road if someone checks. Retention issue or should I steer clear of it? Adjacent houses are red tiled. Thanks! 

Did you get the materials confirmed by the planners? Usually they are reserved matters. 

I would get the standing seam approved (reserved matter or minor amendment) before changing. The neighbouring properties would not match and that might be an issue I wouldn’t like to test. Standing seam can be quite costly. 

• Like 1

Have a look at your grant of planning. It'll normally be a condition on there. The council will expect the person who certifies the house that it is built in accordance with planning. As you can self certify in Ireland you can change materials take a chance than you won't be subject to a random inspection. I gather these normally happen when someone has an eagle eyed neighbour who they've peed off and tips off the council. However you may still be able to apply for retention at a later date. 

I assume your building needs a mortgage and sign offs from an architect/engineer for the bank. The bank also normally require that the professional states the house is in keeping with planning. This is the real building control in effect. Maybe test the water with them. They'll have a better insight. 

A tiled roof is the cheapest and most common one you'll get however.