VAT reclaim - planning permission

Hi All

The bungalow I am renovating has been empty over 10 years and I finally got my letter from the local empty homes officer yesterday as proof.

I had to wait for a bat survey to be carried out before I could re-submit planning so realistically it will be at least 8 weeks before that.

Due to long lead time on bricks I intended to order the bricks this week to avoid any hold ups and also start some ground works for drainage/waste etc. if I was following the letter of the law in regards to HMRC would these be eligible for the reduced rate?

I have had western power out to move supply cable and they refunded 15% VAT once I showed them my empty home letter…could this get flagged up also?

All help and advice greatly appreciated on this wonderful and complicated subject of VAT

My understanding is that for a demolish and rebuild, as soon as you have planning permission, you can start to accrue costs that are VAT reclaimable.

Since you have your letter, you should also be rock solid for your future claim. Did you need to get PP?

Well done on the VAT discount on power move, I understood these were always VATable (vs new supply).