UFH Installation Help

richo106

Hi

We are starting are project in the next month or so and I am just planning our UFH layout, I have attached our UFH pipe layout from WUNDA

Downstairs will be in screed on 200mm PIR with tiled floor, upstairs is on the triple aluminum spreader plates under 22mm T & G flooring and low tog carpet

This will be fed using an ASHP

I have some basic (daft questions) questions to help with my pipe/cable routes:

• Do both manifolds get fed directly off the hot water supply? so will i need to run a flow and return upstairs to the manifold? and then one to manifold downstairs? The downstairs manifold is in the plant room
  • Do each zone thermostat get wired back to the manifold via the smart connection box?
  • Are the thermostats normally located in the rooms next to the light switches?
  • What cable is required for the thermostats?
  • Installing UFH pipes on Pozi joists I won't be able to notch the joists, what is the best way to do this? Can i thread the pipes through the joists or is that not wise? Could you slot the 22 T & G flooring and then fix a thin metal plate over or would you feel that through the carpet?

I am based in the Nottingham/Leics area, I am happy to install the pipe work etc but could anyone recommend an installer who would commission the system for me?

All help advice/information greatly appreciated on this

1504453317_UFH-06561JakeRichardsonPIPELAYOUT-A1(142MainStreet).pdf

Edited by richo106

I would run the whole downstairs, upstairs dressing room and upstairs wet rooms as a single zone from one thermostat, get a wireless thermostat and don't commit to its location until you start using the house, them find the best place for it.

It is unlikely the bedroom UFH will be on if you are well insulated.  Simple 0.25 deg (or better) hysteresis thermostat in each bedroom.  It would be worth balancing flows so the bedrooms don't get enough heat to get the thermostat to operate.  Turn loop flows down or spread the loops to 200mm spacing.

I would delete the utility, hall and landing loops, and just spread out the other pipes routed through those areas across the floor.

Based on loop spacing it is unlikely you will need a buffer, as long as you operate a large volume system.  The last thing you want is just a bedroom calling for heat as that will lead to the heat pump short cycling.

You will need a manifold that can accurately manage flow temps at or below 25 deg.  Or use something like an ESBE CUA100 instead of manifold mixer.