Help me choose a UVC

HughF

The next hurdle in the heat pump upgrade saga is the UVC. We have a cylinder cupboard but it’s small and has an old vented cylinder in it at present.

I think I need to look at a slimline cylinder. Because I’m a cheapskate, eBay and Facebook have been worked over extensively and I’ve come up with that seems to be a good deal on a 150ltr slimline vaillant heat pump cylinder.

slightly concerned by this bit of the data plate though ‘required temperature of indirect flow’ - why would it list this as being 80 deg C on a heat pump cylinder? And shouldn’t the coil volume/surface are be a bit more than the 5.6ltrs and 1m2 that the technical manual states?

Apart from those two points, it’s new, a reasonable price and it isn’t miles away….

1191559258_Screenshot2022-04-30at07_35_23.thumb.png.fadb7988e75bcdfcb34d6e56f70214af.png

Another option that I quite like the idea of is something semi custom from McDonald water storage. I see from Trystan Lee’s video that he used one and it was almost the same size and shape as his previous vented cylinder. And they boast a 3m2 coil?

Edited by HughF

Get a price for a bespoke unit from World Heat. You might be surprised at the cost, and you can get all the fittings where you need them to match the current layout which will save time and money. The can offer Big coils too.

15 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

Get a price for a bespoke unit from World Heat. You might be surprised at the cost, and you can get all the fittings where you need them to match the current layout which will save time and money. The can offer Big coils too.

World heat, gotcha. Haven’t heard of them but I’ll check them out.

Not too fussed about fitting layout but a large coil would be beneficial.

• 2 weeks later...

McDonald taking their time - ‘I’ll have this quote for you later today’, 3 days ago 🤦‍♂️

Current thought process is swaying towards a 120ltr with a 2m2 coil from world heat, for fast recovery times. We can fit that in the cupboard and we manage ok with 120ltrs of 55 deg at the moment, although the shower is a 9kW electric 😔

50 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

you could get them to put a 3m2 heatpump coil in?

The off-the-shelf heatpump offering from world heat, in the slimline size (all we have room for) comes with a 2m2 coil.

The £650 vaillant unit off eBay has a 1m2 coil, it's not worth the reduction in price compared to a new one with the larger coil (£250 difference)

• 1 month later...

Well, ended up with a better deal than I expected on a pre-plumbed vaillant off eBay. Picked it up on Saturday when I was that was doing some other business that way (mid wales).

More junk to clutter up the shed, for now.

Edited by HughF