Cutting Actis Hybris!!

Omg.... I've just started insulating the roof of our new build with Actis Hybris insulation and what a horrid material to cut! 

I'm using 140mm and am interested in techniques that worked for you to cut it. 

I've modified a saw which isn't bad but still drifts quite a lot. I've tried a multitool and reciprocating saw with a high tpi to no avail as the drift is even worse. 

I'm going to try a rotary cutter(manual) in the hope it will be an improvement. 

Please let me know how you managed. 

Regards 

After this was brought up last week I looked into it more, decided I like the material but if I do use it in a build I will be using a bandsaw to cut it, probably with I slicing blade instead of a toothed blade.

• Thanks 1

We just used a very fine saw but you must cut it as a pack. Very hard to do if it has been expanded. Fold it back up and wrap with a layer of cling film. Very easy to install if the bloody builders had used a constant spacing on the joists.

If you are using the HControl on the inside then put the final battern horizontal as it makes fitting plasterboard easy and provides a simple path for cables without going through the Hcontrol.

7 minutes ago, Ajn said:

We just used a very fine saw but you must cut it as a pack. Very hard to do if it has been expanded. Fold it back up and wrap with a layer of cling film. Very easy to install if the bloody builders had used a constant spacing on the joists.

If you are using the HControl on the inside then put the final battern horizontal as it makes fitting plasterboard easy and provides a simple path for cables without going through the Hcontrol.

The rafters with varying widths is a real pain. I know what you mean. 

Another problem is that if its to tight it fails to expand properly!