Thermocover Insulating Film for Windows (as temporary insulation for single glazed windows)

Chris HB

Hi, planning ahead a little here… hopefully taking on a building refurbishment in the near future. Solid wall construction building in the Outer Hebrides, Scotland. (I’ll do a proper intro post later…)

It currently has four 860 x 1300mm single glazed windows in the main space. The plan will be to replace them all with triple glazed units. However, in the meantime I was wondering if it was worth adding some form of temporary ‘’double glazing’ to help keep some heat in whilst camping in the building and doing the design and planning stages of the work.

I was wondering if anyone had used any type of Thermocover Insulating Film for Windows before, and if it was worth a try, or just a bit of a waste of money? Otherwise I might just use some 25mm Insulation board cut to size to fit in front of the windows at night! 🤣

did that in first rented flat half a lifetime ago, put it across the full window to stop draughts, don't know how good it was for heat retention but it stopped the draughts which was a winner. i'd do both, insulate at night and through the days in at least one when cold. i suppose that will be most of the time up there.

19 minutes ago, Simplysimon said:

did that in first rented flat half a lifetime ago, put it across the full window to stop draughts, don't know how good it was for heat retention but it stopped the draughts which was a winner. i'd do both, insulate at night and through the days in at least one when cold. i suppose that will be most of the time up there.

True, I guess it couldn’t hurt, plus it would act as an incentive to get the replacement windows ordered!