Rainwater seeps through

JohnBishop

I talked to the neighbour and I think we should be OK. We won't be replacing roofs only repair it. I think considering he is a pensioner, it's a relatively short notice I do 60/40 split of the costs.

The funny thing is I have two local roofers who I wanted to chose from as they are the most responsive of all BUT
one of them wants to fix the ridge tiles
while the other insists on installing the secret gutter but I am sure during the inspection otherwise - a less invasive job, fixing the ridge tiles rather than a secret gutter so he must changed his mind in the last 2-3 weeks.

I dealt with at least 12 roofers, 4 came over and 3 other gave me quotes based on the images.

The man who wants to fix the ridge tiles and use some Belgian tech in place of the mortar that apparently lasts much longer showed me that fixing a secret gutter if the roof is not replaced at the same time leaves a mess because they cannot match the tiles exactly in terms of colour and he showed me an example on a nearby roof. He also suggested to install some loft ventilation tiles.

The other gent told me that ridge tiles are pretty much illegal these days and this should be phased out. He also said that whatever is to do with ridge tiles won't last 4 years as frost will crack it open.

To be frank both sound professional and the man who suggested fixing the ridge tiles has twice as much good reviews.

Edited by JohnBishop

• 3 weeks later...

I spent about 2 weeks to sort out the fireplace before we can move on to the roof repair.

My neighbour is not interested in contributing to the work apart from maybe fixing the chimney, cap it properly rather than do half of it just on my side.

I have a number of quotes and it is kind of a dilemma because installing the secret gutter is the best option BUT it is also quite disruptive and if the neighbour does not contribute I don't want any complaints later and pay for additional call outs if there are some leaks on his side. I don't want his slate to be touched and I think that is how the housing association did it last time. People have different priorities and it's hard to agree on jobs like that.

I am going to fix the ridge tiles.

Fixing the chimney £400 and the ridge tiles £800.

Secret gutter work ranges between £1500-1600.

I had a quote for a secret gutter on both sides and a chimney work for £1850 in total which is the best option in my opinion but I won't be spending that much just to prove how good neighbour I am.