Plinth heaters / fan convectors / trench heaters with heat pumps

markocosic

We're still having the radiators vs UFH vs fan coils debate for use with a heat pump.

Radiators need to go somewhere. UFH on existing timber floor will be fun. Fan coils are naff for heating.

Hiding some plinth heaters in the kitchen (part of a large open plan cathedral ceilinged kitchen-living space) might not be insane.

Anybody know where one might find decently sized versions of these things?

https://www.heatandplumb.com/acatalog/fan-convectors

It's essentially a slimline FCU and would chuck heat out at a height where it doesn't need to be blasted downwards at a rate of knots to de-stratify the room...

Slimline FCUs would be another option I guess. I'v never seen one though.

A trench heater that could hide in front of the large south facing window?

Is there such a thing as an inexpensive source of finned tubes? eBay for boats suggests 400W per metre run at fossil temperatures.  Perhaps make the entire plinth into a heater and blow into it with an reasonable efficiency EC fan to provide airlflow? Downdraught kitchen extractor as the blower when you want high output? ?

Throwing out silly ideas. The answer is probably radiators but that's so boring, heh!

If cupboards were permanent I could hide those under cupbaords in the bedroom or utility room too. hols in teh top of the cupboard. Draw through and out under the front. Keeps clothes fresh etc. Must be a way to sell this to SWMBo as a great complicated idea to never get finished?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111627899018

I really don’t like plinth fan heaters, they sound great but in practice the localised rising heat makes me feel uncomfortable (my GF has a single plinth heater as boards at that end and I can’t stand the feel of it blowing at my legs). … this may be a weird me thing tho.