Screed or concrete over insulation?

SuperPav

So I've seen conflicting views on this on here.

We are ripping up old suspended timber floors, as well as breaking out the loose-hardcore/screed solid floors in the old kitchen, which will leave us with an oversite approx 300-350mm below finished floor level. It's pretty firm/level-ish, so the plan originally was to just blind with sand to create smooth surface, then dump 200-250mm of EPS and/or PIR down, and then put 80-100mm of liquid screed with UFH in it.

A few threads suggest that as we're just putting insulation on "ground" rather than on a slab or floor structure, then the top layer needs to be more structural (e.g. concrete or meshed concrete?)

I can't imagine there's much cost difference between a liquid screed or powerfloated concrete (at 100mm thickness), so what are the pros/cons of each?

If you have min 100mm for screed then just use one of the self compacting / flowing concrete products as they are a lot cheaper than 100mm of liquid screed.

Concrete also doesn’t need the laitence removing prior to tiling and there is no real need to power float unless you really want to.

• Like 1

Thanks Peter, It sounds like the right sort of product, as we've got the depth to play with but I'm going to show my ignorance here.

What exactly is flowing concrete and how widespread is its use in residential - I've had a quick google, but am worried at the lack of local results, and at the number of results that use it interchangeably with "flowing screed"! 

Presumably it is a cement based screed with lots of plasticisers/additives added to flow better and not shrink too much when curing, as opposed to flowing screed which is gypsum based? Would it normally be left finished "ready to tile" or does it need finishing operations?

3 minutes ago, SuperPav said:

What exactly is flowing concrete and how widespread is its use in residential - I've had a quick google, but am worried at the lack of local results, and at the number of results that use it interchangeably with "flowing screed"! 

Topflow - Tarmac

Agilia - Aggregate Industries

MaxiHorizontal - Maxi

Self compacting concrete or flowing concrete are the terms you need to search for. 

Where are you in the UK..?

Ok so all the main players around you do it. It’s a free flowing product that you can use a bull float or screed bar on and it levels pretty well. You can tile direct or use a thin layer of self leveling compound depending on the finish you’re laying. 

• 1 month later...

Just to resurrect this, as this seems the way to go for our internal flooring at ~100mm.

I just wanted to check if something like Topflow or Agila is suitable for use in footings and/or a ground slab, as we've got some foundations for the garage and a couple of bay windows to do, wondering if it's worth filling them all at the same time?