Flat Roof Maybe?! Help

richo106

Hi All

We have just had the nod from planning so we are now getting the structural engineer involved and he has raised an with the roof with I didn't realise (naively)

Basically he is saying if we built it to the drawings currently it would have a flat roof section

I have attached a marked up section of the roof he has done and also 3D renders to show what we are hoping to achieve.

We are still undecided on the vaulted ceilings in the bedrooms and landing so could do away with Velux windows

He said I have 4 options:

1.   to have a 3rd gable over the porch with 2 ‘captive’ gutters running between the 3 gables but no flat bit.

2.       Smaller flat roof in the centre of the roof (not accessible and leak problems)

3.       Raise the ridge so it sits centrally from side to side but this will create a high ridge that the planners may not like and will make the whole property much taller and ‘imposing’. No flat sections.

4.       Large flat area that is accessible and can be drained (as my sketch).

Option 4 says large flat area to be accessible? How would people do this and drain it?

Has any body came across and sorted this issue before? Any ideas/opinions at all?

We have a month or so to make any alterations to design so would like to get this bottomed out

Thanks again

SE Roof Mark-up.pdf

3D House (7).jpg

3D House (8).jpg

3D House (9).jpg

Edited by richo106

11 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Get any flat area GRPed properly (it will need a light fall).

They make boats that don't leak out of it.

Not a brilliant roof for PV, unless the back is facing South, then the chimney is in the way.

Unfortunately it is not a great plot for PV. The back is NW facing and the left had side of the plot is tree lined 

I will be installing an ASHP so its shame its not the best to install PV