Stable Block - Wooden Partition

jamesmonk83

Hi All,

I'm not entirely sure if this is the right forum for this post as I couldn't see anywhere obvious to post it in.

I've been asked by my wife to build a partition in her timber stables, it will divide an existing stable room up, roughly two thirds will have a 4 legged friend living in it and a smaller section (approx 4m x1m) will be a rug store. I have plenty of OSB and 5x2 timber left over from other projects but I'm not entirely sure the best of bracing it. It will need to cope with a small pony potenitally rubbing/puttiing weight on it. I've built a simple few stud walls but this is a little more tricky.

There are obvious fixing points for each end of the partition to the existing studs of the building but my concern is that there's no obvious way to attacah it to the floor (it's just dirt and we're not allowed to use cement/concrete on the site) or the ceiling/roof as the partition only needs to be about chest high. We were thinking of having a small hinged door in it but I can't see how this could be added without negiatvely impacting the strength of the partition as it would mean cutting into the timbers that would be running the length of it. The only thing I can think of is having some bracing timbers going from the partition to the back wall at the top and bottom of the partition which you'd have to duck under when fetching the rugs which isn't ideal!

Crude sketch attached.

Does anyone have any experience or ideas as to how to get around this?

Many thanks,

James

stables sketch.jpg

52 minutes ago, jamesmonk83 said:

So you think it should hold if I bury some posts into the ground to support the partition from behind?

Yes, 5x2 on edge are string enough and if you add some extra pieces at bottom of post to make it 6x5 full depth and maybe upto 6in out of the ground there will be any of ground bearing area to resist the post from being pushed over. Ram the earth back in with a heavy post or big hammer