Shallower Gas Meter Box?

Ferdinand

My Little Brown Bangalow has a narrow side-path at 960mm wide.

And there is a damn great gas meter box 220mm deep ie front to back, which makes moving things problematic and even dustbins are a little tight.

Q 1 - Simple question - can I get a shallower box for my gas meter?

The only option I can currently see is a recessed one, which could be an answer.

Q 2 - Can my gas man do such a change or would it be the gas company and forking out a large number of notes?

Cheers 

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

Meter moves are a Transco only job - £6-700 from memory but check their website as it has a decent price estimator on it. 

Does the pipe come up the wall externally as an option is to use a partially buried box but they need a different type of meter so again I think you get charged by someone for it....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Meter moves are a Transco only job - £6-700 from memory but check their website as it has a decent price estimator on it. 

Does the pipe come up the wall externally as an option is to use a partially buried box but they need a different type of meter so again I think you get charged by someone for it....

Uh-ohhh ! Wrong answer >:(.

Previously the meter was inside the kitchen and was moved externally, so without going to look I assume it comes straight in to the back. What I need is a recessed meter buried in the EWI, but I am better living with the depth as at least it has some insulation in the wall.

My EWI man has said I have to leave 75mm right back to the wall all around the thing, but it is not worth £600 to fix it.

I might look at putting a slab against the wall inside.

Are any risks attached if I put say a collar of 100mm XPS or Celotex around the meter box against the wall?

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand