Ledger board bolts for 1st floor joists?

JudithC

Hi there, long story but we're building a 2 storey extension on the side of our house, all 7N concrete blocks. The new 1st floor will become part of an existing bedroom (to make the bedroom bigger). For various reasons we can't rest the new 1st floor joists in the new wall so we'll be using a ledger board and joist hangers. 47 x 150mm joists on a 47 x 150mm ledger. Our SE hasn't included any detail for this but elsewhere he's suggested M12 wall bolts on 400mm centres. Would this be sufficient to support a floor? Really struggling to find any detail on this in the building regs.

Thank you!

JC

Personally I'd raise this with SE, they should be specifying this detail for you not strangers from the internet!

But yes, I've fixed a joist ledger board to a wall before with M12 studs (threaded bar) embedded in resin, its commonly used. 

However the frequency of the fixings and particular type of fixing should still be specified or at least ran by the SE for verification. 

On 06/11/2021 at 21:08, JudithC said:

Hi there, long story but we're building a 2 storey extension on the side of our house, all 7N concrete blocks. The new 1st floor will become part of an existing bedroom (to make the bedroom bigger). For various reasons we can't rest the new 1st floor joists in the new wall so we'll be using a ledger board and joist hangers. 47 x 150mm joists on a 47 x 150mm ledger. Our SE hasn't included any detail for this but elsewhere he's suggested M12 wall bolts on 400mm centres. Would this be sufficient to support a floor? Really struggling to find any detail on this in the building regs.

Thank you!

JC

I’d second Annker there. Although your proposals sound reasonable. BC will not provide such guidance. They only inspect and if concerned will ask for evidence of adequacy