Experiences fitting first floor retrofit WundaTherm overfloor panels and engineered wood floor? Is it squeaky?

SiD the Turtle

Hi folks,

We're renovating our 1930s semi and as part of that installing wet UFH. We've already done it in part of the house that's a 1980s extension and used the metal joist spreader plates, this works well. Unfortunately, in the 1930s part of the house the joists aren't the current standard of width apart so I can't install spreader plates.

Wunda support (who have been fantastic thus far) suggested two options:

1. Batten perpendicular to the joists to the correct width.
  2. Install chipboard directly onto the joists then stick Wundatherm panels over the top.

Both options we lose 20mm off the floor. A builder suggested doing a thin concrete screed, but that's out of my skillset.

The benefits of option 2 are not having to install insulation between the joists and not having to faff with battening. Just replace the original timber floor with 22m chipboard and glue it down.

Has anyone done something similar? How did you find it? We were at the flooring supplier yesterday (looking at QuickStep engineered wood) and they said you need to make sure the floor is super flat else it will be squeaky and the boards may separate over time. Anyone experienced that?

I've just completed my first floor UFH using Wunda.

If you're joists can take the extra dead load I'd happily say that doing a pug mix install is straightforward enough. Instructions from Wunda are all I followed, only amendment is I used 100mm insulation rather then 50mm.

I made a start last Sunday installing ply T&G flooring with lots of D4 glue and lots of screws.

Opted for ply based T&G rather then chipboard to save on weight.

• Thanks 1