Flat roof needs overhang

Joe87

Hi all,

I have a flat roof on a garden room which i was hoping to put an overhang on so i could have some downlights along the front and side.

The problem i have is, to keep the facia board smaller (it was originally going to be 50cm+ high, because of it being a warm roof and would have looked terrible in my opinion) the joists were put onto wall hangers rather then on top of the actual wall. This reduced the facia to more like 30cm. Now ive decided i want an overhang (because i like to make life hard for myself) but im unsure how to go about this?

Usually the joists would just overhang the front however far i needed, but because they are lower on the inside of the wall im not to sure how i would attach an overhang now?

Could i attach the overhang to the top of the actual wall itself and then put the top deck over the top of the over hang and attach it to that aswell, drilling straight down into the noggins to secure it?

I hope this makes sense and someone can help me out with any ideas. This is why Noobs shouldnt start these projects!! haha ?.

Thanks for any help

Can you add some timbers for the overhang on the top of the roof joists so they line up with the top of the insulation, so 120mm insulation and 120mm overhand pieces?  Then bring the wall finish up to meet them.  You will need to insulate around the timber outrigger pieces.

image.png.1a46d6e3095c7aef6e034fa4b8a405b1.png

image.png.91cc950a075edde567436603a76fbec9.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr Punter said:

Can you add some timbers for the overhang on the top of the roof joists so they line up with the top of the insulation, so 120mm insulation and 120mm overhand pieces?  Then bring the wall finish up to meet them.  You will need to insulate around the timber outrigger pieces.

image.png.1a46d6e3095c7aef6e034fa4b8a405b1.png

image.png.91cc950a075edde567436603a76fbec9.png

The joists slightly come above the wall so they are not actually flush with the top of the wall. However, this is sort of what i was thinking aswell.

Ive actually added a wooden batten the same thickness as the insulation around the outside of the building in a box shape and attached these to the sub deck and the insulation is on the inside of that. So i could also use that as an "anchor point" for the overhang pieces, screwing from the inside of the batten and into the overhang pieces. So they would be potentially attached and secured to the wall, top part of the joist with a connector plate perhaps, the wooden (insulation) batten and then have the top deck over them and have that screwed through the top. Surely that would make them plenty strong enough for uplift etc? Id rather overbuild it and make sure its secure. Cant really think of a better way of doing it unless there is something that im not thinking of.

On a side note, how did you come by those images? Were they from some software you had??

7 hours ago, MJNewton said:

Don't forget a couple of blokes walking up top for maintenance...

Good point, it's the silly things you forget. I'm hoping with the top deck being strapped to it aswell as the joists etc that it'll make it stronger. I'll be sure to check this all out as I go and change accordingly.