Trickle vents, hinges on PVC windows

Porthole

Hi there

I am replacing a large number of windows to PVC for my property as part of a large rennovation. Just wondered what peoples' views are on side hung or top hung windows. For the bathrooms, I am thinking of top hung for greater privacy. For the other windows, some are quite tall, (146cm by 56cm) so would side hung be better, from a look point of view and durabilty?

Is there a convention on which way round a single pane window should open, e.g. to the right or left, or is it just personal choice. For a side window, on a first floor, are there any security benefits of opening to the front of the house as opposed to the back of the house?

Also, trying to decide what to do about trickle vents. They are quite unsightly but don't suppose there are many other options?

Many thanks for any contributions!

2 hours ago, Porthole said:

views are on side hung or top hung windows

It's a personal preference to be honest, I'm a tilt and turn man tbh. 

For the bathrooms, I am thinking of top hung for greater privacy.

Not sure I follow the reasoning behind this thinking, if the glass is obscured it won't matter. If you're referencing the fact side hung you have a gap when open vertically compared to bottom gap for top hung. Just remember you can open a side hung slightly for ventilation and still lock it in place that will generally not have a visible gap to view through.

Is there a convention on which way round a single pane window should open, e.g. to the right or left, or is it just personal choice

For inward opening, you would always aim to open up towards a wall, for outward side hung, think of the direction of wind and direction you walk to open the window. 

Also, trying to decide what to do about trickle vents. They are quite unsightly but don't suppose there are many other options?

Are you in Scotland? If yes, nothing you can do. If not, rules are slightly different south of the border. In that if the house doesn't have them now, you don't need to replace the windows with ones that do.

thank you very much Craig

Regarding the top hung for privacy - just thought when it is open, there is more privacy.

do you know if the top hung are difficult to keep open? - as our windows are quite tall, thought they might tend to shut due to the weight of the windows